Frequency of new events

Talking about Fleshcult: Strategies, questions and comments.

Frequency of new events

Postby Wyrd » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:17 pm

As much as I like the new 'harder' events, there seems to be a pretty horrible skew towards screwing the player over. In about an hours play, I've had my entire stock of minions killed/kidnapped 5 times and had 3 run away, 2 of which did so the turn I finished upgrading them fully. I also had the trust reducing event 3 times in a short period, which was incredibly irritating as I was working on all 4 recruits at the time.

As necessary as these are to add a little more challenge, I think maybe some sort of streak-breaker mechanic might be needed to keep it from overwhelming the player and making them feel like they're being unfairly punished. Possibly something on the back end that won't allow a bad event to trigger if one has occurred in the last 3-4 turns or if the player has lost a minion to a raid. At the moment, the rate they hit you just feels like a huge momentum killer, whereas if they were a little less frequent they'd just be more speed bumps.
Wyrd

Re: Frequency of new events

Postby jackoekaki » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Woah. I was planning a retune this release but had no idea it was so bad. In particular that frequency of minions running away shouldn't even be possible, so there's probably a bug I need to fix there. Also, which trust reducing event are you referring to?
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Postby Shadow Knight » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:13 am

The Witchfinder General's thing, I would guess.
Shadow Knight

Postby jackoekaki » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:28 am

Next release will have a fix for the deserting concubines. It was a pretty serious bug: if you tried to talk them out of it in the first incident, then agree later on, the throttling will go haywire and they'll all desert you one by one.

Edit: Also, the invasions do create a possibility of a poor-get-poorer feedback loop. While I still want one challenge that's based on an absolute schedule rather than player progress, I'm thinking that concubine kidnapping creates potential for a loss that's too extreme and could knock the player back to square 1.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Postby Wyrd » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:28 am

I'm glad to hear that was a bug, more than once I'd been left with just my beasts. On the kidnappings, if it's not too much work perhaps add a chance for the concubines to escape and return to you? That always sort of adds the possibility of getting more minions than you have room for, but a quick menu where you can choose to expel a less useful minion to return them or send them away might work.
Wyrd

Postby jackoekaki » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:30 am

Well, I've altered it so that concubines can only be kidnapped one at a time, so that should have a pretty big effect. Having them escape and return would be very dramatic though.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Return to Fleshcult