A random rant (Forum recommendations)

Go off-topic. Waaay off-topic.

A random rant (Forum recommendations)

Postby willpell » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Nobody else is posting in this section, so I might as well go ahead and say something completely off any topic, which is that I'm sick and tired of people saying that forums are not free speech, and treating it as acceptible to ban a person from a forum just because they hurt people's feelings or broke some set of rules. I know I'm spitting into the wind and things are never going to change, but I still wanted to say it.
willpell

Re: A random rant

Postby jackoekaki » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:42 pm

I dunno man, the older I get the more I see the case for aggressive, opinionated moderation. I used to think that laissez-faire was the way to go, because the highest priority was to be fair. But I've seen forums that had perfectly fair moderation still go to shit.

Almost all the forums I've frequented have declined over time. They've become less insightful, more repetitive and angrier. I don't think it's a sign of the times because I've seen recently founded or small forums that are still excellent. It seems like forums deteriorate over time.

My theory is that when people see a forum with excellent posts, they lurk for a long time and don't post until they've really thought it through. They don't want to look like a doofus in front of all the smart, funny and cool people. As a result, they post something smart, funny or cool. When someone finally does post something stupid or inflammatory, people rush to post, the standards for posting drop and the deterioration advances. So now I think the highest priority is to maintain a high standard of posts, which is necessarily opinionated.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Postby willpell » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:05 pm

jackoekaki wrote:I dunno man, the older I get the more I see the case for aggressive, opinionated moderation.

People's opinions tend to wax conservative as they age. It does not always mean they've gotten wiser; they may just be succumbing to grumpy-old-man-itis and refusing to adapt to changes in society, ultimately because they don't want to face up to the fact that they're coming closer to the day of their death, and are intolerant of society's attempt to move on from the way they remember it being (which isn't actually how it was anyway, because your memory is a filthy liar that whitewashes everything, and just plain makes shit up so you can enjoy nostalgia about events that weren't so rosy in the first place).

Almost all the forums I've frequented have declined over time. They've become less insightful, more repetitive and angrier. I don't think it's a sign of the times because I've seen recently founded or small forums that are still excellent. It seems like forums deteriorate over time.

My theory is that when people see a forum with excellent posts, they lurk for a long time and don't post until they've really thought it through. They don't want to look like a doofus in front of all the smart, funny and cool people. As a result, they post something smart, funny or cool. When someone finally does post something stupid or inflammatory, people rush to post, the standards for posting drop and the deterioration advances. So now I think the highest priority is to maintain a high standard of posts, which is necessarily opinionated.

This just sounds like elitist judgmentalism to me (I'm not calling you a judgmental elitist in general, I'm just referring to this particular sentiment). What's an "excellent" post to one person is pretentious wankery to another; what's "stupid or inflammatory" to some is just as subjective, as some people enjoy the social climate more when people are free to say whatever's on their mind without being criticized for it.
willpell

Postby jackoekaki » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Heh! Well yeah, it absolutely is subjective, which is why it's good there are usually multiple forums on a subject, all appealling to different tastes. Me, I prefer judgemental over relaxed. I can't be bothered reading things that haven't been thought through. Without moderation, all forums would slowly tend toward the same, dominated by the loudest and most numerous.

Like you said, I don't think the forum you're annoyed with in the OP with is going to change, so you're better off finding one with more rough 'n' tumble.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Postby willpell » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:51 am

jackoekaki wrote:Like you said, I don't think the forum you're annoyed with in the OP with is going to change, so you're better off finding one with more rough 'n' tumble.

Any suggestions? I'm not quite up for going full 4chan at this stage in my life; I'd rather not participate in active, intentional shittiness, I just need to find some people who are laid-back and thick-skinned enough that they won't ever overreact to stuff I say which isn't meant to offend, but maybe isn't calculated to avoid offending either.
willpell

Postby jackoekaki » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:15 am

Dunno, depends on the topic. Reddit?
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous Speechifyin'