Open Source?

Ideas for things to add to the game

Open Source?

Postby zadenikt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:41 am

Is there any chance that the game will become open source? I'm sure that adding many of the great ideas here wouldn't be too difficult to anyone with extra time (of which the internet has a lot), and some of the bigger ones could be done by the community. An alternative could be to make some sort of mod/package API, and allow users to dynamically load and unload packages, but that would probably take more work that it's worth.
zadenikt

Re: Open Source?

Postby jackoekaki » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:57 am

Quoting from here:

(Why not open source it? Well, it's an irreversible step and there things I'd love to attempt that are more realistic under a commercial model than a donation model. Like a character viewer, for example. A suitable payment system to do it might arrive someday. Kimochi might actually become the Steam of adult games. I want to keep my options open because the environment is changing)
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Postby zadenikt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:51 am

Are there any ways to do community contributions, then? I feel like the game could potentially have a lot more content if there were some simple path to add it.
zadenikt

Postby jackoekaki » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 am

Nah, I've treated it as a commercial game rather than inviting unpaid contributors.

I'm not opposed to the idea of modding, it's just that it's hard to do while the game's server side. Server side modding would demand a centralised system ala Steam Workshop, and I'd need reviewers to make sure it didn't fill up with illegal shit. A rewrite for client-side might actually be easier.

I've been looking at stuff that compiles Python into JS via Emscripten and also stuff that turns webserver apps into a standalone downloadables (Cocoon, Electron). If you've got any recommendations in the area I'd be interested to hear them.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Postby zadenikt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:30 pm

I haven't personally used Electron, but (assuming you're talking about renamed Atom Shell) it is allegedly pretty nice. I've only used emscripten with C++, and it was relatively annoying then :P
zadenikt

Postby jackoekaki » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Yeah, just recently I tried out doing some WebGL builds in Unity (for an unrelated project) and it's a clusterfuck. Their WebGL process is a big Rube Goldberg machine that turns .NET bytecode into C++ source, then compiles with Emscripten into JS. The startup times are atrocious, and it's unclear if I can even put up a progress bar for most of it, because it's JS parsing before execution even starts. Debugging sucks, for obvious reasons. I wish Chrome would change their mind on plugins.

So yeah, Emscripten isn't as magical as it seems at first.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions