Your first spam bots

Any talk about the forum itself, forum rules, and moderation decisions.

Your first spam bots

Postby Sasha S » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:43 pm

You must be so proud. It's like losing your virginity and getting crabs to prove it. :D
Sasha S

Re: Your first spam bots

Postby WonderGamer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Yeah, I noticed that. Getting hit pretty hard in just one day also, so it's only going to get worse. I personally used this site to cross-reference spambots when I was moderating some other forums. They even have a plug-in that will automatically block most spam bots from even creating accounts on your forums.
WonderGamer

Postby jackoekaki » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Cheers, I'll take a look at that. phpBB's built-in CAPTCHA doesn't seem to be much of a speed bump for them.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Postby jackoekaki » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 am

Switching to a custom question and answer at signup has been ridiculously effective. I was sorta worried there might be a human doing the signup and a bot doing the spamming, but I guess not.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Postby WonderGamer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:38 am

No. Bots are designed with predefined code & sold to people who spam the forums. If the code of your forums change to something other than what the bot is designed to work with, then this keeps the bots from being able to spam the site (or even create accounts). I'm not sure what you changed as I haven't attempted to create a new account since then, but it was apparently something the bots weren't programmed to work with & they are not getting through because they don't know what to do with what you added. The bots may be updated later on to get around this, but for right now you don't have to worry about them spamming the forums until they implement a work around to what you've done. The only way they will be able to get around what you've done until their bots are are updated would be to create an account personally, then have the bot pick up from there. Although you could technically change code in how your forums create new posts & that would set them back even farther. Better to stop them in the registration process however so your forums don't get filled with spambot profiles. You will notice that even if the posts from those bots are removed, then tend to leave links on their profile if the forums allow it. :geek:
WonderGamer

Postby wyldmage » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:50 pm

He's using a nifty word thesaurus deal.
I had to pick "murder" out of a bunch of synonyms for tits.
I've seen other examples of this (less perverse words, mind you) before. Its REALLY effective, since the amount of work required to defeat it on a any-site level is mind boggling. Now, if they really just wanted to spam this forum, its not that hard (make 20 accounts, record words/synonyms, make bot that beats them).

The biggest weakness this method has is that a bot capable of seeing the selection of words still has a 1/x chance of picking the right word.
wyldmage

Postby jackoekaki » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:54 am

Uuuugh. Now I'm getting Mechanical Turks manually creating accounts for posting Russian spam. They can go fuck a combine harvester.
jackoekaki
Site Admin

Return to Meta